Thursday, January 8, 2009

Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie-Woogie Flu

Poor Francesca. She's had a cough forever now - over a month, at least. The past couple of days, it's sounded more phlegmy, she's had a little fever, and it sounded like she was wheezing. Chris has been giving her the albuterol inhaler for the wheezing, but I figured it was time to go to the doctor. I called today just after she went down for her nap and they definitely want to see her today. In fact, the receptionist said she can't schedule me for tomorrow because of the wheezing. The problem is that they wanted to see us at 2:30, but I have to be at Dominic's bus stop by 3:15 and it's a 20 minute drive from the doctor's office. Plus it takes a good 8-10 minutes to get out of their office, down six floors, through the hospital, to the parking garage, and then to the car, so we'd have to leave the office by 2:45 and you know that wouldn't happen.

I was transferred to a nurse, explained the situation to her, and she said with the symptoms lasting so long and now getting worse plus adding in fever and wheezing, that she may have walking pneumonia. Just what I wanted to hear. I explained that I definitely want to bring her in - that's why I called - but I really didn't have a choice about getting my son off the bus. Sometimes it's harder than usual to not have family close by. I wish I could call my mom and say "hey, can you grab Dominic at the bus stop for me?" Add another drop to the homesick bucket.

Luckily the nurse said they'd squeeze Francesca in at 2:00. (They go to lunch from 1-2:00, so that's the earliest we could get there when they'd be open since I called at about 12:40.) So in a few minutes I'll be waking her up from her nap, which is never pleasant, and headed there - fingers crossed that they'll actually be able to see us right away. She may need chest x-rays, so I emailed our neighbor to see if she could grab Dominic at the bus if I don't make it there on time. I haven't heard back from her yet - she's at work so I can't call - but I'm crossing my fingers that she'll be able to be my back-up.

I'll post later with the diagnosis. Cross your fingers that it isn't too bad...

No comments: