Thursday, January 22, 2009

Getting Fit

Over the holidays when I got together with my friends Darlene and Crista, Crista's friend (Christine, I think?) mentioned that a trainer had called her "skinny fat." That's how I've considered myself since then - skinny but out of shape. No muscle and no cardio ability. Last year I joined "Curves" and went regularly (3 days per week) for a couple of months and was so proud, but then wasn't feeling well for a while and took a break. Since August I've only went a few times. It's the same problem I've always had - I like to work out once I've started, it's just getting there or getting started that gives me trouble. I'm lazy that way, I admit it. It's easier to stay home. But when I do go, I enjoy it and feel good about it. (You'd think that would be motivation to go, but my laziness is stubborn.) However, I am determined to exercise more - whether it's at home or at Curves. Maybe if I don't put pressure on myself to leave the house to exercise, I'll do it. It's a theory. :)

Part of trying to stack the odds in my favor is having options at home. We've had a Wii Fit for a while and I like it, but because of all the clicking between exercises, I feel like I get about 30 minutes of exercise for an hour or time, and it ends up being not cardio intense at all. I will use it for yoga, balance, and some strength training, but want to mix it up a bit. I pulled out my old Tae Bo tapes and also my Buns of Steel tape. (Yes, tapes! VHS rules! LOL!) And I got a new Wii "game." I put game in quotes because it is so not a game - it is a serious workout. It's called "My Fitness Coach" and it kicked my butt the first time I did it today! I'm hoping to do it 3 times a week for 30-45 minutes each time. Wish me luck!

There, that's my resolution to go from skinny fat to skinny fit. That one vowel change makes a world of difference! Now that I've written it for all of you to read, maybe that will motivate - or guilt - me into following through. So ask me how it's going - hopefully I'll be able to answer without guilt!

1 comment:

The Beyer Family said...

So I get to go from Fat to Fat Fit then right?!! I can't wait to start it!!