Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Entry #2!

Rain, rain, go away, I wanted to go shopping today! Both kids are at school and I had grandiose plans to stroll around the local shopping center and perhaps use these Ann Taylor Loft gift cards that are burning a hole in my pocket. Unfortunately, as we were putting on our shoes to head to the bus stop, I heard a pattering sound on the skylights. Break out the umbrellas!

Thankfully, our next-door neighbors graciously allow the adults to wait inside their garage until the bus comes, so we can stay at least dry even if we aren't warm. I asked Pete if, when they bought the house, they noticed the "port in a storm" garage clause. It makes me so happy to have neighbors who are friendly, down-to-earth, and nice people. Not everyone in our neighborhood would offer their garage as shelter. Now if I could just get Pete to sell coffee in there....

As for the kids, a little bit of water falling from the sky doesn't affect them, so they were their usual boisterous selves, complete with rain coats and kiddie umbrellas. The driveway was a sea of frogs, pink frills, Dora and Batman - umbrellas hiding little heads and hopefully keeping them dry. If only I could retain enough youth and innocence to make me not mind the rain, instead of scrunching up waiting for it to end. Or maybe that just means I'm smart enough to know to get in out of the rain. I must admit, I am not particularly looking forward to winter mornings at the bus stop. I'm such a fan of the cold. (I hope you read into the sarcasm in that comment.)

Thank goodness Francesca's school has a drive-through drop off and pick up. Everyone lines up in their cars, then you circle around so you're right in front of the door, and one of the teachers gets your child out of the car and takes them inside. Ingenious! I don't even have to unbuckle my seatbelt! Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy taking Francesca inside many days and sometimes staying for the morning songs, but give me rain, sleet or snow, and baby, I'm in that drive-through line.

So now here I sit. On the computer. Listening to the soothing sound of the rain on the roof, but far from shopping. I think I'll make myself a cup of International Coffee and curl up in front of the TV for half an hour until I have to pick up Francesca. That sounds like the perfect plan for a cold, rainy morning to myself. Just please don't let it turn to snow.

No comments: