Monday, March 23, 2009

9 Days and Counting...

In 9 days, Chris and I are headed to Rome! It's the free trip I earned from my Usborne Books business. Well, free in that my airfare and hotel are paid for, but since I decided to take Chris, I'm paying his way from the profits I made last year. I figure he's worth it considering he does a lot of my loading & unloading of the van when I go to events. He even has his own special IBUBH t-shirt (International Brotherhood of Usborne Book Haulers). It has a top 10 ways you know know you're a book hauler, my favorite of which is "You've ever made the UPS man cry." I don't know about cry, but I'm sure I made one quit! :)

Anyway, Chris called our credit card company today to let them know that we would be using our Visa in Italy. How horrible it would be if they thought it was stolen and canceled it! We're also going to call the credit union to see if we can get any Euros before we go so we don't have to immediately change money there.

I've also been planning out or days. Not Clark-Griswold-every-minute-accounted-for planning, but a general idea of when to see certain sights with specific things we have scheduled as well. For example, on Friday at 10:00 am, we have tickets for a tour of the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel. Then at 3:00 pm, we have tickets for the Vatican Necropolis - the underground excavations that they only let 200 people through each day. On Saturday, we have a day trip to Pompeii on a bus filled with other Usborne consultants & their families, then on Sunday we have tickets to Palm Sunday Mass at the Vatican. *whew!*

We arrive in Rome Wednesday morning, April 1st, at 7:00 am and then wait for a bus to our hotel. I'm thinking Wednesday may be a wash considering we'll be exhausted from losing 5 hours and flying at night. (We leave Tuesday at 5:00 PM, so when we arrive in Rome it will feel like 2:00 am our time.) I'm hoping hoping hoping we can check in early at the hotel, take a nap for an hour or two, and then wander the streets of Rome for a little while before our group reception/welcome from 5-6 pm. So no plans for Wednesday.

Thursday we're going to the Colloseum and the Roman Forum, then wandering and eating the rest of the day until dusk. Our plan is to have dinner and then follow the "Night Walk" from the Rick Steves' Rome travel guide, which ends very close to where our hotel offers a round trip shuttle service so we can get back there easily. No plans yet for Sunday afternoon or Monday, then we leave early Tuesday morning to come home.

I'm getting excited! I have our packing list all typed up and was doing a bunch of laundry today to get caught up and start putting aside clothes I want to take on our trip. Now I just have to cross my fingers that the time change and travel anxiety don't mess up my system too much..... Say a little prayer for us next week!

No comments: